I saw this meme, which apparently originated at Ace Railgun, over at Mainichi Anime Yume and Mono no Aware, and since I enjoy both reading and answering these types of questions, thought I’d do this as well. After all, as I’ve said before, blogging is all about saying “Me, too!”
1. Who is your favorite male anime character?
Kamina, that paragon of masculinity, from Gurren Lagann. I like strong, masculine characters, and his problem-solving method of total self-confidence and brute force is just so much fun to watch.
2. Who is your favorite female character?
It’s a tough call, but probably Triela, from Gunslinger Girl. She appears to be the oldest and most mature of the girls, and thus takes it upon herself to look after the rest. Her uncertain relationship with her handler also makes her and Hillshire the most interesting pair in the show.
3. What is your favorite anime soundtrack?
Evangelion 2.0, which I imported not too long ago. The battle themes especially, though I like almost every piece. I even learned to sing “Tsubasawo Kudasai.”
4. What is your favorite anime opening + animation?
The third opening to Goku Sayonara, Zetsubou-Sensei.
5. What is your favorite anime ending song + animation?
Unlike openings, there aren’t many endings that I care for. I suppose season one of Spice and Wolf, though there’s not any actual animation. That or “Hare Hare Yukai,” from the first season of The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya.
6. What is your favorite anime scene?
A couple scenes come to mind, but I’d say the climax to Evangelion 2.0, when “Tsubasawo Kudasai” is playing. After a TV show and four films, we finally get to see Shinji man up, with beautiful animation, a very good song, and overall it’s just such a satisfying end to the film.
7. If you could meet an anime character who would it be?
If it’s just one meeting, I’d love to dance with Princess Tutu.
8. What anime character is most similar to you in terms of personality?
There’s no perfect matches, of course, but I’ve always identified a bit with Madarame, from Genshiken. His passion for his hobby, but also, unfortunately, his hesitancy in certain things, like moving on from college or telling his romantic interest his feelings.
9. What is your favorite thing about anime?
Creative animation. I love shows like FLCL or most anything directed by Shinbou Akiyuki that just go all-out on changing up styles, or tend towards abstraction. Basically, doing things that are impossible for live-action.
10. What is your least favorite thing about anime?
The obsession with high school settings.
11. Who are your favorite anime couple?
It’s not something I’ve really thought of before, but I’ll go with Lawrence and Holo from Spice and Wolf.
12. Who is your favorite anime animal?
Mesousa, who was the most entertaining part of Pani Poni Dash.
13. What anime would make a good game?
I don’t play video games anymore, so I don’t know and don’t really care.
14. What game would make a good anime?
I could see Final Fantasy VI working as a series. Again, though, I don’t really know.
15. What was the first anime you ever watched?
16. Do you think you’ll ever stop watching anime?
I enjoy traditional animation, so I doubt it. If the West starts producing a lot more of it, I’d probably watch more of that than the Japanese, but that seems very unlikely at the moment.
17. What is your favorite genre of anime?
I watch a bit of everything so it’s hard to pick, but I do seem to watch more slice-of-life comedy than anything else.
18. What is your least favorite genre of anime?
I can’t think of any I’d refuse to watch, but I do try to avoid fanservice-heavy shows.
19. Are you open about watching anime with people you know?
Yes; over half the shows I watch, I’ve watched with my little sister. I’d also be willing to watch with any friends who’d be interested.
20. Have you ever been to Japan?
No, though I’d like to go someday.
21. What anime was the biggest let down for you?
His and Her Circumstances. I’d always heard it was really good, and the first few episodes lived up to that, but it really fell off a cliff. Same with the comic.
22. What anime was better than expected?
I don’t watch a show unless I think there’s some chance it’ll be good, so I don’t have a good answer. Cromartie High School is one I put off watching for a long time, and I’m kicking myself for not checking it out sooner.
23. What is the best anime fight scene?
Another one I’ve never really thought about, but I’ll go with one of Araragi and Mayoi’s scuffles from Bakemonogatari.
24. Who is your anime waifu?
Belldandy, from Oh, My Goddess!, who actually would be a perfect wife.
25. What was your favorite video game as a child?
Super Mario World is the one I played the most, so I’ll go with that.
26. Most embarrassing moment?
Though I’ve made a fool of myself many times, I don’t recall anything really worth sharing.
27. Can you drive? Do you own a car?
Yes and yes.
28. Are you mature?
I think so, overall. I’m personally responsible, and think I’m more intellectually mature than most people my age. If I’m immature in one respect, it’d probably be emotionally, but other people could answer this question better than me.
29. What year were you born?
Near the end of the Reagan Administration.
30. Do you prefer cats or dogs?
I wish I could be so carefree and wild, but I got cat class and I got cat style.
31. Describe yourself physically.
Slightly taller than average, curly and dark hair, a short beard, tremendously handsome with intelligent eyes.
32. What would you name your first child?
If it’s a son, I’d name him after myself. If a daughter, “Elisabeth.” I’ve also thought it’d be neat to name a pair of fraternal twins “Arthur” and “Arturia.”
33. What is the worst injury you have ever had?
I’ve never had a bad injury.
34. What is your worst habit?
35. Do you drink or smoke?
I drink a couple times a month, but have never smoked. Smoking is cool, I just don’t want to damage my health.
36. Do you have a tattoo?
37. Are you a morning person or a night person?
More of a night person, though I try not to get too carried away.
38. Have you ever slept past midday?
I don’t think so.
39. Do you regret anything?
Several things; the biggest is not telling a girl I liked how I felt about her, hence the Madarame connection earlier.
40. Can you count the number of friends you have on one hand?
Yes. I’m not very sociable, I guess.
41. Do you wear glasses?
42. Are you a picky eater?
Not really; I’m willing to at least try most foods.
43. Would you die for someone?
Maybe, but that’s easy to say when you’re just sitting at a computer!
44. If you could have any superpower, what would it be?
Perhaps the ability to pull random objects out of hammerspace?
45. Do you believe in the supernatural?
46. Would you rather be rich or famous?
Between them, I’d pick famous, but I wouldn’t go too far pursuing either.
47. Have you ever committed a crime?
Yeah, I’m practically like Judas Priest here.
Actually, no. I’m a model citizen.
48. Pirates or ninjas? Time traveler or ghost?
Pirates; time traveler.
49. Does someone have a crush on you?
Not as far as I know, though I can think of a couple girls I used to know who probably did.
50. Are you in a relationship?
Tags: 50 questions